I'm on Google Talk right now.
Google Talk = Google’s new IM service that they’re announcing tomorrow.
All you need is a Jabber-compatible Instant Messaging client (such as Apple’s iChat, or GAIM), and a Gmail address.
If you’re getting the 405 error with GAIM, or simply cannot connect anymore, follow the updated configuration instructions below!!! You have to use an @gmail.com address to login from now on.
UPDATE: Google’s offical client has been released, as expected. Download here for Window only. Mac/Linux, or Windows rebels, keep reading below. :)
- Server: talk.google.com
- Username: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: (your password)
Note: If you can’t login, try to turn off ‘Secure Messaging’ or ‘Encryption’… etc.
Trillian users: Someone just told me that they got it working with Trillian, but I can’t verify this. Just go to Trillian’s plugin page on their site and download the Jabber plug-in, install it, and configure a new connection as below:
“server : talk.google.com
port : 5222
Use legacy SSL for connection : not checked”
NEW! Google’s offical help documents for setting up Jabber with iChat:
How to set it up with GAIM on Windows/Linux, or Adium on the Mac:
For iChat, just enter the information above. For other Jabber clients (such as GAIM), continue:
- Add an account, select “Jabber” as the protocol.
- Your screen name is everything before the ‘@gmail.com’.
- Server is ‘gmail.com’.
- Click “show more options” and make sure “use TLS if available” is checked. Leave “Force old SSL” and “allow plaintext…” unchecked for now. Connection port should be 5222, connection server should be ‘talk.google.com’ without the quotes.
- Ta-da! Just login and you should be good-to-go.
Cool. The “/me” command works too… even on iChat. Try it! “/me says hi” translates to “smash says hi” (or whatever), if you’re not familiar!
Feel free to IM around with fellow Gmail users just by adding their addresses to your list! I’m not sure how long this is going to work, but let’s make the best of it.
UPDATE: I’m online right now, give me a hollar if you’re able to login! I’m talking with someone I added to my list. :)
Here’s me getting IMed by everyone on Digg with Google Talk:
Notice how more people are still popping up…